It’s not a good idea to mess with a baby’s schedule

My poor son has just “adjusted” to daylight savings time and I have to go and mess everything up. When the clocks rolled back on Sunday morning, his biological clock did not. So, while I was enjoying my extra hour of sleep, my husband was up at 6 am with my son, who thought it was 7, and even that was a bit early for him to be up on a weekend. But just try reasoning with an infant.

Why did I snuggle up tighter under the covers and shove an illuminated baby monitor at my husband you may wonder? Well, we have a deal. I get up with the baby 6 days of the week (in all fairness, five of those I’d have to anyway to take him to the babysitter) and he gets up with him one day. No matter what time our little one decides to cry, my hubby gets kicked out of bed and thrust into daddy duty. For some reason my son almost always sleeps in later on Saturdays than Sundays. Not that I’m complaining.

Anyway, Sunday night he was quite tired and ended up zonking out around 6:30 instead of his usual 7:30. That did not bode well for Monday morning when he woke me up 45 minutes before my alarm was scheduled to go off at 5:40. Not fair! I let him fuss about for awhile and he went back to sleep. Unfortunately it did me little good as the buzzing started about 20 minutes later. I did get my shower and to get ready for work and when I went in to get him I felt bad because I had to wake my sleeping darling.

Tuesday morning was a bit better. He went to bed at about 7:15, so he decided to sleep in a bit later. This time he woke up 5 minutes after my alarm went off. I still let him fuss in the hopes he’d go back to sleep, but no luck. I had to go get him, hand him a tiny bottle (he wouldn’t stop crying) and stick him in the playpen so I could get ready. I was surprised he didn’t throw a fit because he’s usually not a playpen baby.

Last night the bed time schedule was back on track and we heard not a peep from him. This morning I had to wake him to get him to the sitter on time and all was great.

Then we had a 3 1/2 hour car ride to my dad’s. He slept for nearly two hours of it which threw his schedule completely off. To add to the insanity, they are an hour behind us. He was wide awake and wanted to play after being in the car so long, so I let him stay up a bit later than usual. I didn’t even attempt to put him to bed until 8 our time. Now I’m paying for it. It’s nearly 8:40 and I can hear him through the wall crying. I hate it, but I know I have to let him. He knows how to put himself to sleep and he will do it. It’s just him being too tired and yet too stubborn to give up and go to sleep.

I hate to imagine what time his internal clock will wake him tomorrow. My dad has to be at the hospital at 8:30, so I’m hoping it is at least a little before then. Still, if he keeps crying like this, he’s going to be exhausted tomorrow. I hate to imagine what Friday morning will bring. I think it’s a good day I scheduled that doctor’s appointment and took a half day in the morning on Friday. At least I can sleep in, even if he can’t.

Leave a comment

Filed under bad days, motherhood, my son, ramblings, what makes me me

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s