Yeah, I’m a mom…still

Yesterday my little girl was born. Even though I’ve done this whole birthin’ thing before, I guess I was more nervous than I realized. Tuesday night I couldn’t sleep.  tried to, I really did. I went to bed about 10:30, but around 11 I realized sleep wasn’t coming, so I got something to read, hoping the sandman would visit me in the middle of a paragraph as he so often does. No dice. I mean, sure, I put the magazine down, turned off the lights and closed my eyes, but I still tossed and turned until about 1 when my husband came o bed.

At that point,I think I actually got some sleep. Well, until my son woke up crying around 2:40. Normally I let him settle himself, but as soon as I heard him, I was up. I checked on him and he was fine. I however, was  wide awake. I tried to lay down and sleep, but wen I looked over and the clock said 3:15, I gave up and went out to the computer for awhile. I kept everything dark and just tried to send a few emails. At 3:40 I once again headed for my bed, hoping against hope to get that last, precious hour or so of sleep, but it did not come. Instead, I found myself watching American Idol (don’t judge man, I was tired) at 4 am.

When 5 am hit, I was excited to give up the charade, climb in the shower and get ready to go to the hospital.

My c-section was scheduled for 8, but we had to be there by 6. We made it exactly on time and were ushered right in to our “holding room.” Unlike my first time around, things went really quickly. Although I was parched from not being able to eat or drink after midnight (I actually stopped at 10:30), it wasn’t half as bad as when I had my son. I met everyone who’d be working on me immediately, my labs came back super quickly and my doctor even asked if I cared if we started early. Heck no! I was on board, let’s get her out.

The spinal block took longer to put in than the last time. The last time they got it on the first try, no problem. It was quick, although not painless. This time, it took several minutes (and stabs) and hurt like the dickens! I shed more than a few tears over that blasted needle and it’s cruel point. But finally my legs were numb and I was ready for the actual birthin’. The whole process only took about 30 minutes, of which, only about four were unpleasant. I guess her shoulders were a bit bigger than expected and they really had to pull to get her out.

I was a bit anxious at this point to find out if she was, in fact, a girl. I know it was what the ultra sound tech told me 18 or so weeks ago, but all during this pregnancy, I kept having a strange feeling she was wrong and the baby was going to be a boy. I have no idea why, other than the fact that I really wanted a little girl. I just kept having images of all the adorable pink, purple, yellow, red and orange clothes people had given me going to waste and me getting home exhausted and having to dig out all my son’s old baby clothes.

But, minutes later, I heard a loud wail and saw them rushing my daughter over to the infant area. It was pretty darn cool! Even though I’d done this once before, tears rolled down my eyes.

Since she was a c-section, my husband got to hold her first, which I still feel is totally unfair since it was my bladder she’d been doing the macarena on for 9 months, but at least she was close to me and I got to touch her little head. It helped that after I was sewn up and being wheeled to recovery, he had to hand her over so I could snuggle her.

She’s spent most of the last 32 hours sleeping, which I won’t complain at all about. I know we have a lot of sleepless nights to come, so I’m taking ay sleepy time as good time. Although by the time I really got to “sleep” last night, it was nearly 11 and was pretty incomprehensible. I did get to catnap for two to three hours at a time, which was really nice.

It’s funny, the first time I became a new mom, I couldn’t wait to get out of the hospital. I wanted to do everything quickly so I could get home. This time, I’m milking every second I get in this hospital room. My husband was hinting that since I’m doing so well we might get to go home early and I told him no way. If “check out” time is 3 on Saturday, I’ll be walking out the door at 3. I’m going to let anyone and everyone who wants to give me an extra hand, bring me food in bed and take my daughter to the nursery so I can sleep do so. I remember what it was like when we went home and although I do want to take her home and dress her in cute little outfits, I also want time to adjust to having a new little one.

It really does help that my son is staying with my parents for a week or so. That way we’ll have a little time to actually get used to feedings every three or four hours again. Plus, we’ll have a bit of rest before we have to figue out how to get a toddler and a newborn ready to face the world each morning.

I just hope my son doesn’t want to send her back!

1 Comment

Filed under good days, love, married life, motherhood, my daughter, my son, ramblings, what makes me me

One response to “Yeah, I’m a mom…still

  1. Congratulations for having a baby girl. I went through c-session process last month when i gave birth to my baby boy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s